INTRODUCTION TO CHARISMATIC CONCERNS


Greetings everyone and welcome to this new blog.  The purpose of it is to address certain things going on in many Charismatic circles.  Although there are some things which they teach that are good, there are many, many teachings, attitudes, and experiences in a lot of these churches that are unbiblical, chaotic, deceptive and even dangerous.


Charismatics are a diverse and multi-faceted group and there are many off-shoots within the movement.  It is important to note that they don’t all teach the same things, so our comments may not apply to everyone within it.


In this blog, When I use the word “Charismatic,” I will be including people from various Charismatic churches, including the “Word of Faith” (or “Word-Faith”) groups, the “New Apostolic Reformation” (N.A.R.) movement, “Manifest Sons of God,” “Latter Rain,” “Dominionism,” and others like them, including many Pentecostal-type groups and activities, as well.
 

I will be addressing those who believe that our words have power, i.e., the “positive confession” / “name it and claim it” / “faith is a force” people.  We will also address the “prosperity gospel” and its impact on the church.  We’re going to talk about those who emphasize personal religious experiences over doctrine, those who focus heavily on emotionalism and sensationalism, those who claim to have apostolic power and the sign gifts that come with it, and certain trends or fads that happen within these churches, at the expense of neglecting the gospel.  Some of these groups emphasize legalism (which they mistake for “holiness”), and many of these are personality-driven, i.e., they revolve around a particular famous pastor or teacher.  All these things should cause great concern for the body of Christ.


Ok, so what gives me the right to criticize these people?  As a little background, in my early twenties, I met some friends who led me to Christ and encouraged me to read my Bible, and I soon associated with small local Charismatic groups in my area and I believed in these teachings wholeheartedly.  So, I’ve been there and personally witnessed many of these teachings and theatrics.  My purpose is not only to expose these false and destructive teachings and activities, but to awaken many of those therein to the truth. 
   

I want to say from the start that there are many wonderful and faithful (saved) people who belong to Charismatic churches and I have learned many things in my time in that movement.  I still have many friends in those churches.


But years later, I came to realize that there were some things that bothered me in these groups, things that didn’t match the Scriptures.  There were some definite abuses that simply seemed to be accepted by all.  There was also a spirit of elitism, that is, a sense of being better than all those “non-Charismatic” churches out there, as though we were on some higher spiritual level.  I came to fully realize the arrogance and condescension of myself and many around me.  I am not at all saying that all Charismatic groups have this attitude, but many did.  And unfortunately, there are many that still do today.  And even worse, there are many who engage in utterly foolish doctrines and melodramatic activity.  In the near future, I plan to cover many different topics, people and situations involving this abuse in the Charismatic movement.


But I want to share this thought that I believe is relevant to this issue.  We need to look at some very sobering words of Jesus Christ.  In  Matthew 7:21-23, He says:


“Not every one that saith unto me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter into the kingdom of Heaven; but he that doeth the will of My Father which is in Heaven.  Many will say to me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Thy name? and in Thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?’  And then will I profess unto them, ‘I never knew you: depart from Me, ye that work iniquity.’”


Whoever these people are that Jesus spoke of, they obviously did not have a personal relationship with Jesus, since they were condemned.
 

For one thing, they seemed to be trusting in their works to gain Heaven.  But we know that trusting in one’s works to get to Heaven is not embracing the true gospel (Ephesians 2:8-10; Romans 4:4-5; Titus 3:5, etc.).
 

But the fact that those at the Judgment in Matthew 7 mention these specific works is interesting.  It seems that there are only three possibilities:

1) They were desperate, so they lied to God about doing miracles, hoping to still enter Heaven.


   2) They were telling the absolute truth and really did true miracles from God, or


   3) They just thought that their “miracles” were real, but they weren’t.  If anything, they may have been “lying wonders” (2 Thessalonians 2:9).


Concerning the first point above, perhaps in desperation, one would try anything to avoid eternal damnation.  But I don’t think it is possible that they were trying to lie to God, since their hearts and lives were laid bare, standing in His very presence. 


Concerning the second point, doing miracles doesn’t prove that you are right with God, or that you have the truth (Deuteronomy 13:1-5; 1 Thessalonians 5:21; 2 Thessalonians 2:9-11).  Your message is more important than your miracles.


The third point seems the most likely.  It seems that they were convinced that they actually did miracles, since they are astonished that they are being rejected.  But maybe the truth is that they just thought that they did real miracles (like many think in the charismatic movement today).  It seems that they were simply deceived into believing that they were performing miracles.  Now, I'm not saying that God doesn't do miracles today.  I believe that He can and He does.  It's just that they probably happen much more rarely than some claim.  Not everything that is said to be a miracle in the church today is actually so.


Is it a coincidence that the works in this particular group in Matthew 7:21-23 seem to closely parallel the Charismatic Movement today and its accompanying claims to miracles?  I cannot think of another group that more closely fits this pattern than the Charismatics.


It is said that Charismatic / Word of Faith groups are some of the fastest growing churches in the world.  It has been estimated by some that there are now as many as 800 million members in this group.  That’s almost a billion people, which is about one-seventh of the world’s population!  If they are indeed in doctrinal error, this should cause alarm for the church at large.


What is dangerous in all of this is that there is some truth in these groups.  Truth mixed in with the counterfeit is always a danger.  It tends to legitimize the poison within.  Christians, we need to exercise discernment and be knowledgeable, willing and ready (1 Peter 3:15) to share the truth of Scripture and the true gospel with those involved in these Charismatic churches.




Comments

  1. Hello Russell,

    I just found out that you started a new blog!

    I certainly appreciate you joining in on exposing the charismatic deception taking place within Christianity. That stuff is a gateway to even more doctrinal error, which is what makes it all so serious.

    I also have a handful of posts on the subject, with these two links being examples:

    https://rationalchristiandiscernment.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-self-sufficiency-of-scripture.html

    https://rationalchristiandiscernment.blogspot.com/2018/12/a-biblical-critique-of-new-apostolic.html

    You are quite knowledgeable.

    God bless,
    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jesse,

    Thanks for you comments and your encouragement!

    Yes, I think that this is also a vitally important topic, with these people having influence around the world. I pray that we can do some good in sharing the truth about it! Souls are at stake.

    And yes, thanks for sending your two links. I will definitely view them. Thanks again, brother! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Russell, I am a non denominational believer in the Lord Jesus Christ, and I share the concerns with you about the blab and grab ministries which have polluted the charismatic churches.
    Some of those churches have started out right, but ended up in deception, perhaps because of the love of money which has sneaked into their souls, and the love for the Lord Jesus Christ has grown cold.

    And I think that the ordinary churches are basically dead because they have become organised, perhaps just like Catholic church with a slightly adjusted doctrine.

    If you take them on and expose them, then you will fight against a giant serpent with many heads. If you cut off one of the serpent heads, then another head of the serpent is about to devour you from the rear. By the time you have cut and wounded many heads, the first head that you cut off has grown back and with new vigour the serpent will spit poison at you.

    I’m glad that you are willing to take on those money orientated churches. To me they are like oxen going to the slaughter and no one holds them back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Paul,

      Thank you for your comments and thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I'm sure it can be quite an undertaking to expose the many in this Movement, but it really must be done. I just heard someone say that 25 of the 27 books of the New Testament deal with false doctrine / teachers. On the one hand, God puts great emphasis on dealing with error, and on the other hand, there are many who wouldn't dare offend anyone by telling them they are wrong. It just goes to show you the world that we are living in. We are in the last days!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DRUNK IN THE SPIRIT?